It’s that time of the year again when parents and children in Arkansas are preparing to go back to school. During this time, we urge Arkansas citizens to take extra precautions in school zones and neighborhood areas where children and teenagers might be riding and driving. The afternoon hours are particularly dangerous – over the last decade, nearly one in four child pedestrian fatalities occurred between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.
Caddell Reynolds joined Good Day NWA to discuss the best safety practices for the back to school season. Watch a clip of the segment below.
School Bus Laws in Arkansas
It is illegal in Arkansas to pass a school bus that is stopped to load or drop off children, this includes traffic traveling in the opposite direction as well.
- Never pass a bus from behind – or from either direction if you’re on an undivided road – if it is stopped to load or unload children
- If the yellow or red lights are flashing and the stop arm is extended, traffic must stop
- The area 10 feet around a school bus is the most dangerous for children; stop far enough back to allow them space to safely enter and exit the bus
Be alert, children often are unpredictable, and they tend to ignore hazards and take risks
Arkansas Laws in School Zones
When children are on or around school property, school zones require you to obey the posted 25mph or slower speed limit, regardless of the day of week or time of day.
- For example, if it’s a Friday night at 10pm and you are in a school zone when kids are present (maybe a football game just ended), you are still required to adjust your speed to obey the slower school zone speed limit.
- When you slow down for pedestrians, you not only make yourself a safer driver, but you also help other drivers who may not see the obstacles you do.
- Watch out for school crossing guards and obey their signals.
We Can Help
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in an accident through no fault of your own, call Caddell Reynolds for help at 800-671-4100. When you call, you’ll speak with one of our top Arkansas personal injury lawyers absolutely FREE.
At Caddell Reynolds, we will fight for the maximum compensation you deserve. Our experienced Arkansas Personal Injury Lawyers understand complex claims—and can help you receive the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Caddell Reynolds Law Firm will be by your side every step of the way. Call us for your Free Legal Consultation at 800-671-4100 today. At Caddell Reynolds, there is never an attorney’s fee due upfront. In fact, you owe us nothing until we recover for you. We have offices conveniently located throughout Arkansas to better serve you.
Caddell Reynolds. Make the right call!