Every day the attorneys at Nolan Caddell Reynolds are contacted about car accidents. More often than not, cell phones play a major role in someone’s life going off the rails.
No matter the message, texting is never important enough to take your eyes off the road. There is too much at stake. Here are 10 statistics we’ve found to help convince you to never text and drive!
- 9 Americans are killed every dayfrom motor vehicle accidents that involved distracted driving, such as using a cellphone, texting or eating. Remember it isn’t always the guilty party who pays the price. You might be comfortable putting in your own life in jeopardy, but what about your passengers, other drivers, pedestrians or anyone else?
- There is a 1-in-4 chance that a motor vehicle crashinvolved a cellphone.
- 40% of teens say they have been a passenger in a car whose driver used a cellphone in a way that put them in danger.
- 33% of U.S. drivers ages 18 to 64 report reading or writing text messages while drivingin the previous month. In comparison, only 15 percent of drivers from Spain reported texting while driving in the same period.
- More than 300,000 motor vehicle accidents a year involve texting.
- Texting while driving increases the likelihood of a crash by 400%.
- Drivers cansafely glance away from the road for only 2 seconds while operating a motor vehicle.
- Sending a text usually takes your eyes off the road for 5 seconds. A car going at highway speeds can cover the length of a football field in those five seconds.
- 46 states have banned texting for all drivers, regardless of age. This includes both Arkansas and Oklahoma. Not only are you putting lives in danger, you’re breaking the law!
- 21 – 24 year olds are most likely to send a text or email message while driving, according to a 2012 survey.
Next time you’re in the car, put the phone down until you’re in park!
And if you were injured in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, contact Nolan Caddell Reynolds. We’ll help get your life back on track. Call us at 866-242-0452 or visit www.nolancaddellreynolds.com, today!